Saturday, May 11, 2013

Man Shopping in Silverlake, Part 1

If you're reading this, you don't want to look like that guy
In LA you can see it pretty easily. There are different looks for different sections of town. 

Here is the I LIVE IN MALIBU AND THIS IS WHAT I LOOK LIKE ON INSIDE THE ACTOR'S STUDIO Look...


This is the I DO LUNCH IN BEVERLY HILLS Look...

Something tells me he and I will never meet
This is the I HANG OUT ON THE SUNSET STRIP EVEN THOUGH I SWORE I'D STOP Look...

I LOVE MILEY CYRUS'S FACE HERE

This is the I'M A NICE PERSON AND I LIVE IN HOLLYWOOD Look...


And this? This is my husband...


Okay, full disclosure: we were in Paris, he was trying to be funny and we don't live in Silverlake but this is pretty much what the I'M A GUY AND I LIVE IN SILVERLAKE Look looks like...


Not being a guy, I never really put much thought into the topic of man shopping until I married a man. And pretty early on I learned something: men -- all sorts of men -- care about what they look like and have very definite tastes and styles. They can be picky. I love this. I'm not sure why. And I love shopping with and for my guy. Frankly he looks much better and has more fun trying junk on than I do. Which I resent. But I love when he looks good.


In Silverlake, to capture that real-deal Eastside look, you'll want to stay on the Sunset Junction side of town. Let's start right around the actual junction at the beautiful Mohawk General Store:

Photo by Adco
Mohawk is located right at Sunset and Sanborn, near Hyperion. 
                    

It has two things I really like 1. a dog bowl surrounded by cacti outside the store...



And 2. this TV Set:



It's a little art gallery meets art space meets fashion meets I-can't-wait-to-get-a-really-good-job-and-buy-a-lot-of-stuff-here. They carry Gitman Bros., gorgeous Dries Van Noten shirts, Baxter Facewash, shirts and jackets from Arpenteur, etc. Know that most threads and shoes are over a 100 but they also are all good quality and stuff that would make any guy feel like a sharp-dressed man. Case in point, my sharp-dressed man-friend, Mark Lieber, wearing shades he got at Mohawk...

photo by Adco
Yes, they got some fa-ly sunglasses. Does ANYONE say fly anymore? Anyone? Now if you want to buy a gift and keep some fun money left over, you got your socks, too:

Even the displays make me feel humbled.
And there's always a find. Like these tasteful Mollusk Generic Surplus shoes. Frankly my favorite shoes in the store. Perfect for summer. Only $88 smackaroos.


Yes, ladies shop there, too but this is my man post, part 1. I got a lot of man shopping ideas. Just stay tuned. 

I gotta go now. I'm off to Beverly Hills. I put on a dress and a scowl but I'm going to make the best of it. Until next time, go outside, get some sunshine, and BUY THOSE SHOES!

NOTE: For the Man Shopping in Silverlake Part 2 Post Click Here

No comments:

Post a Comment