Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Jen Sincero's Book Soup Signing: A Blast with a Splash of Memory Lane

Books are hot. They simply are. Take a look at Book Soup's interior:


 This stuff is sexy.



I simply had the best time last night in the packed room for Jen Sincero's book signing. Here's a snapshot taken by the author herself of the fun that was had:


As me and my friend waited in line to see Jen and have her sign our books, I got a lot of book eye candy...

I wanted to buy EVERYTHING
Here I am with my author bud. For us, we're always one step away from almost crying every time we first see one another. It's not because we're sad. Well maybe a little bit because we miss each other. But it's mainly that thing when your heart is happy and you have too many emotions. I mean this is the person who's seen me through all my weight sizes, poor man choices, good and bad hair styles and the one who gets that I have a good nose for perfume and a good eye for lip color:

Jen Sincero & Me. 
I think it's worth noting that while that's not the best picture of me, that's a big genuine smile. So my ego can handle the punishment. And she looks fantastic.

I also got to see one of my other nearest and dearest friends, my old roommate Adam. 

Adco
When I first moved to Los Angeles, Ad and I lived with each other. Adam taught me the best way to see LA is from inside your car. On most weekends for fun, we'd start off by getting into his 1969 Shalimar Gold Eldorado...

Look how sexy this car is
Adam controlled most of the music which was fine with me. We'd listen to Michael Jackson, Led Zepplin, Paul McCartney, Madonna and The Who as we toured LA. We'd start out by maybe going to Studio City to see the real Brady Bunch house... 


Then head out to Benedict Canyon to look at Sharon Tate's house... 

10066 Cielo Drive. The house is now demolished. The only thing from the original left standing is a telephone pole.
(It was a little morbid but Adam was obsessed with Sharon and Roman) 

Then after driving along Sunset for a bit we'd maybe lunch at Poquito Mas...

8555 West Sunset Boulevard
I liked to get quesadillas with mushrooms and steak. DEEEEEELICIOUSNESS. Then we'd cap off the day by heading over Coldwater Canyon, up to Mulholland, where'd we turn off to see The Spaceship House.

John Lautner's Chemosphere at 7776 Torryson Drive
To fully appreciate the Spaceship House - not it's real name - see it at night. If you go, which you have to, turn onto Torryson and drive to the end and turn around at the cul de sac. Then just look up to your right. It's spectacular.

Here's Adam with Jen...

Adam Newman & Jen Sincero
She has her hand like that because she's on book tour and he's a little under the weather so she had to protect her body from whatever it is that was going on with him. Which perhaps was simply too much fabulousness for the world to bear.

Here's a cow...

"I live with Cynthia now."
I did not know Book Soup sells kid stuff, too. Although adults can like stuffed animals which I do so I bought the cow and I don't want to hear about it. 


I love books, I love L.A., I love cows, I love Eldorado's from 1969, I love Book Soup, I love Adam Newman and I love Jen Sincero. I'm so glad I got the chance to be out last night, on the Sunset Strip, around all of it. A reminder, if you're in LA pick up Jen's amazing book You Are A Badass: How To Stop Doubting Your Greatness and Live an Awesome Life at Booksoup or really I'm sure it's in all the other great bookstores in town (ie.: Skylight, one of my other all-time favorite bookstores). If you're not in LA you can find it on Amazon and everywhere else on the planet that sells smart stuff for good people.

It's a beautiful day. Time to get outside and enjoy the sunshine. Until next time...

Signing Off,

Cynthia Greenburg Dunlop Badass 

7 comments:

  1. I miss Book Soup - you made me realize I must get back (and check out Jen's book!) Always wanted to check out the spaceship house in person. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so much fun. You have to. It's a fun little outing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Badass,

    Loved this post for so many reasons.

    A. It featured tall friend Jen and I love her.
    B. Books photograph well.
    C. I know little Nancy Cohen was in there somewhere.
    D. Adam is handsome.
    E. I miss LA.
    F. Your words make my heart happy and give me too many emotions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are a badass down under -- that might be not the way to say that.

      Delete
  4. I have to say that I LOVED this post. Tall Friend Jen looks fabulous and Adam...well I can go on and on....and you Cynd! It's always hard for me to see all this fun going on in your life and realize that I am not with you! I guess I need to acknowledge that and get out of denial.

    I wish I was with you guys on those house tours in the Eldorado listening to Led Zep. Is there anything better than Adam showing you stuff (anything really) on a car tour? Some of my best Adam memories are in cars :)

    I miss you so much it hurts, and need to see you soon! When are you going to be on the east coast?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to go east but don't know when I will be. Trust me when I say, there will be a sleepover.

      Delete
  5. Love this post and how much do I love Adam's car? I feel like he doesn't realize I'm his fake friend from afar.

    ReplyDelete