Thursday, July 11, 2013

The Downtown LA Art Walk is Tonight.

NOTE: The downtown Art Walk takes place the 2nd Thursday of every month.

The last time I went to The Downtown Art Walk I discovered I was alive, LA is electric, there are cool, amazing people who are doing risky, moving and lush art in Los Angeles and parking is not a bitch. All to say if you haven't gone, you really should. It's easy, it's fun and it costs you to park and that's it. That is IT. AND if you're really smart (and cheap) you can take the metro. Then it's like boom. Wow. Culture for practically nothing. I love it!

One thing I'd be sure to check out is the exhibit over at the Carol Cirrillo Gallery on 9th. It's all fine art photography by Carol herself, and the subject of her lens is the Paris Metro.




Paris is one of the only places you feel downright cool and even maybe more attractive just for taking the subway. The art walk - I'm going to admit it - the art walk is a little like that. Walking around, popping in and out of different galleries, seeing what's happening with paint and photography and sculpture - it makes you feel like you got it going on. I can't explain it but it does. Especially if you go sleeveless. Which tonight might be necessary. This weather is BIZARRE.

Last time I went - and yes, I felt sort of swank strolling around in my dress and my lipstick - I found two artists both of whom displayed pieces which had a real effect on me. In fact, due to that outing I am now following Stephen Rowe...


And I just did an interview with Olivia Barratier...


I'm preparing that now and can't wait to post. She is AMAZING.

But back to tonight. Here are some helpful tips if you plan to go.


THE DOWNTOWN ART WALK DEETS:


•There's an app for the gallery map you can put right on your phone. Just download: ART WALK MAP APP

•The art walk starts at noon but goes til about 10pm and know that different galleries may have different hours (ie.: I think Carol Cirillo's is supposed to only be open from 6-8pm). Also, some may not be open at all. Nevertheless, there's a whole bunch to see, always.

•Though obviously there are many galleries to visit, and it is spread out, it seems much of of the center hovers around Spring & Main, between 7th & 3rd.

•It's easy enough to take the metro into downtown but if you are driving, there a number of lots the organizers recommend. For more information, click here: PARKING LOT SUGGESTIONS

If you can, take the Metro. You save on gas and parking. Click her for: METRO INFO

•Regarding food, there are so many restaurants and bars around,  it won't be hard for you to find something delicious to eat and drink. Though last time I went I didn't eat food-food but took home two cupcakes from BIG MAN BAKES on Main and HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend them. HIGHLY. 

•For even more info go to downtownartwalk.org or check out my posts from June 13th & 14th. 


That's it. You've got everything you need. Your armed and ready. So throw on some Chanel and get to it! 


Beauty calls.


ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment